You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Whose stuff is it and what's it for?

Wednesday night cycling home I came on a pile of stuff. The owners of an apartment were throwing out stuff left behind by a previous tenant. There was a lot of stuff. But I couldn't not look and see what there was! In the end I came away with a broken double or contra bass bow and a large electric rice cooker. I hope to find good homes for them eventually after I've repaired the bow.

On Wednesday Sept 10 2003 I wrote this quotation from Margaret Silf's book Inner Compass:-

"Because nothing is mine in any real or pertinent way I have (ultimately) nothing to fear from apparent losses in my life and (ultimately) nothing to gain from transient acquisitions or achievements - though of course it won't feel like this at the surface of me. If I can begin to live from the free centre where these things are really true for me, I become free of the constant need to hold onto what I fear to lose or strive neurotically after what I hope to gain. All the energy that has been needed to maintain this holding on and striving after becomes freed for the thrilling challenge of becoming who I really am."
I might aspire to this but I haven't achieve this thinking, at least not yet. A happy moment with a Korean ESL student sprang to mind who at a dinner party at my home, she declared "You're just like my grandma" (할머니 harmonie & yes I can sort of read Korean!). The others at the table were a little stunned but I recognized the connection and behaviour immediately. What a gift as I felt it was a complement! The virtuous Asian mother is self sacrificing for the children, and when she becomes a grandmother she frequently transform this with new softness. She will save all the best to give away to her grandchildren, chocolates candies etc. Strangely at that moment it was said I was pulling out some chocolates from the freezer! I was always taught FHB, family hold back for the guest and I've watch a mother or grandmother putting food on the guests plate while they can't see.

Competitiveness can never have a grandmother's selfless care and love. This is part of compassion.

I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; Be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph 4:1