You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

existential questions

What are the fundamental questions of life? If you are a fan of The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, then the answer is 42. The problem is really not What is the answer to life? But what are the fundamental questions of life. And particularly those of existence. But we ought not to confuse God with meaning nor questions. They are only sign posts. But what are those questions?

In my studies over the years these have been Who am I? in my individual identity and communal identity? Why am I here? Where is here? What's wrong with here? What's the remedy?

Today I've been in the hospital as power of attorney for a patient, my Auntie Mary. We got to talk to 4 doctors from 3 departments on separate occasions about resuscitation if something goes wrong with the 2 procedures they were suggesting! I had to face with Auntie Mary What is the meaning of life? What gives meaning to life? What makes life worth living? and continuing to live?

Then I had my weekly conversation with my Phd student and among other topics we discussed about What makes a Christian living their life with God different from someone equally religious from another faith tradition? Is it possible to have a conversation with God? Yet another conversation a few hours later What gives us a reason for living our lives? What makes our existence, work or lives valuable or worthwhile? Where is God in the bad stuff of life? Why am I here? What am I meant to do? Then in the listening/discernment group even later What makes the authentic spiritual life? How can I, or is it even possible to pass this on to another? What does it mean to follow God?

I always think of my good friend Ann, a survivor of anorexia. She used to say Life sucks! with an implied addition And I'm still alive! I agree with her and think that's the meaning of life!

I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He [or she] will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:9-10