You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

enough faith

To pray means to be willing to be naive, [not to have everything right or sussed out nor pure without self motives]. Emilie Griffin

This trio is a Gibson harp guitar, a Gibson mandolin and a cello (origin unknown). I can't really imagine the sound or what sort of music they played.

In prayer I don't know what makes for sufficient faith in some circumstances. Sometimes I make bold claims in prayer for God's action and other times I am penitent and not even sure what to ask for. We've been praying for unemployed individuals to find and jobs and I heard 7 found work. We've been praying for 30 students from my campus to attend International Christmas - I don't know whether this is bravado or a faith statement. I spent an hour talking together with a student a couple of weeks ago about thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. What can I pray for and is there something I shouldn't pray for?

I read Richard Foster's Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home in April 2003. I noticed this quotation ...

To pray is to change. This is a great grace. How good of God to provide a path whereby our lives can be taken ove by love and joy and peace and patience and kindness and goodness and faithfulness and gentleness and self-control. The movement inward comes first because without interior transformation the movement into God's glory would overwhlem us and the movement out into ministry would destroy us.
Prayer is more about being changed by the presence of God and less about asking for things. Prayer isn't about a quantity or quality of faith but a relationship always deepening, openness and willingness for change and transformation.

But to this day the Lord has not given you minds that understand nor eyes that see, nor ears that hear! Deut 29:4