You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

companionship

Today was a better day weatherwise. The sun shone and I felt a lot better so much that I rode my bike again. I had lunch in Chinatown, visited the rehab hospital, bought a metropass for January, then went on to tutor in English and do some conversation on campus.

The last few days have forced me to question Do I live for myself, for others, or for God? I've had to do some serious thinking. I think if I hadn't heard Carny's voice yesterday I would have simply got on the bike despite the bad weather, despite the close shave with the SUV coming home. We sometimes use the words Where is your heart? To avoid jargon I think this actually means What is the goal of your life? What is your purpose in life?

Charles Shultz creator of the Peanuts cartoon and comic strips had many good insights. In one strip Charlie Brown explained that he thought the purpose of life is to make others happy. But Lucy reacted by saying she didn't think she was making anyone happy, and more importantly no-one was making her happy, so someone wasn't doing their job.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me. The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands. Ps 138:7-8