You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Lullabye For A Stormy Night

well now I am grown, and these years have shown that rain's a part of how life goes, but it's dark and it's late so I'll hold you and wait 'til your frightened eyes do close, and I hope that you'll know... that nature is so the same rain, that draws you near me falls on rivers and land, on forests and sand, makes the beautiful world that you'll see in the morning ... everything's fine in the morning the rain'll be gone in the morning but I'll still be here in the morning - Vienna Teng Lullabye For A Stormy Night

(My ears are still full of Vienna Teng a good voice and very thoughtful lyrics hear this song here NB Vienna Teng wrote this song when she was 17! - If you're interested you can find downloadable live recordings at the internet archive here)

Years ago, I was extremely interested in a young woman but we were on different continents. We were far apart. At this time I came across this picture in a book published in 1919 together with the translation of a Chinese poem from the 6th century: The Ferry written by the Emperor. Both touched me deeply

Of marsh-mallows my boat is made,
The ropes are lily-roots.
The pole-star is athwart the sky:
The moon sinks low.
It's at the ferry I'm plucking lilies,
But it might be the yellow River-
So afraid you seem of the wind and the waves,
So long you tarry at the crossing
I don't think she ever understood the poem and picture when I shared it. Somehow the possibility failed, making the physical crossing happened but there was no willingness to cross over other divides. But looking back I would not be where I am now, doing what I do now, unless that failure happened. But I'll still look back when I hear songs like this.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer 29:11