You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Discovering grace

I keep returning to the words serendipity, chance, providence and grace as a recent theme. A recent question in my thinking is how okay is it to ask God for things? Let me add for myself! In prayer it seems much is made of intercession praying for others and less supplication for ourselves. However there is an importance between self-centredness, being selfish, and submission. Just see how this changes the prayer of Jabez. It seems to me submission is acceptance of God's activity in my life which in turn drives a certain spirituality which brings out a desire for change, a hunger for the reality of God.

The last few weeks have brought these things into focus. The inheritance monies I received, sent in Feb and found in June, have allowed the dream electric cello to become a reality. Yes it's really small. Saturday I seriously felt drawn to go to a certain garage sale I saw on Craig's list. I wandered in and found these two Galaxy Audio powered monitor speakers. I recognized them as things I wondered about over 7 years ago but they were too expensive then. But at a garage sale very affordable? A real find or gift.

I'm quite aware at the moment how many people around me find it difficult to share things they want prayer for. Yet interestingly in the early days of Alpha at my church the pastor used to lead in his willingness to be prayed for by the small group. It is less God give me and more God make me more open and willing not just to do but to receive.

When you pray, say: "Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.Give us each day our daily bread. ..." Luke 11:2-3