You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Evil, suffering, and sin

Human beings are so made that the ones who do the crushing feel nothing; it is the person crushed who feels what is happening. Unless one has placed oneself on the side of the oppressed, to feel with them, one cannot understand. Simone Weil

I remember in this moment the Japanese anime "Graveyard of the Fireflies" which is a powerful and painful study of two children at the close of WWII. Such is the power of the story line that I have not plucked up courage to watch a live action version. War is evil and the question is whether it is ever a necessary evil. A tension is whether countries can usurp another's sovereignty to instigate justice? National leaders have a responsibility for the care of their citizens, I'd like to think that but somehow I'm not sure in practice that is true.

Over the years I've had Machiavelli's The Prince on the must read list but as yet haven't got to it. I understand that The Prince is really a guidebook on seizing and preserving power. It focuses on a new prince who has a much more difficult task than a hereditary prince. Machiavelli sees that the new prince must cement his newfound authority in power structures that endure. To do this the Prince though publicly above reproach privately does anything necessary to maintain power. I notice that significantly Tanonoka Whande The Zimbawe Times writes of Mugabe,

“The President and First Secretary of Zanu-PF and President of the Republic of Zimbabwe” ordered that international organizations that were operating in his country, helping him to take care of his citizens, be stopped from distributing food to the starving citizens. He would not allow someone else feed the people he is supposed to be feeding unless those people sold their vote to him for food that is not even his.

Evil is considered a broad term used to indicate a negative moral or ethical judgment; it is often used to describe intentional acts that are cruel, unjust, or selfish. Evil is usually contrasted with good, which describes intentional acts that are kind, just, or unselfish. Accepting this definition and having considered all that we discussed above, can we justly deny Mugabe the description or title of “evil”? He has worked so hard for it and continues to do so.

It was Voltaire who said that as long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. Zimbabweans, don’t believe in absurdities; we are in distress and we duly give Mugabe the title. He deserves it. His malice has gone too far."
Seemingly Mugabe has gone beyond even Machiavelli in having the ends justify the means. But are we really that different from Mugabe?

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' Matthew 25:41-43