You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Simplicity and Poverty

... bloggers everywhere will publish posts that discuss poverty in some way. By all posting on the same day we aim to change the conversation that day, to raise awareness, start a global discussion and add momentum to an important cause.

I love it when people around become concerned to buck the trends of the world around me. Tuesday Night prayer meeting was a moment of inspiration. Rather than looking to buy a huge house in suburbia with equally huge mortgage and a need to run at least 2 cars because there is no public transit, life can be different with different goals. We can make a difference however small. Today is Blog Action Day 2008 Poverty. I decided to be part of this because I know some people actually follow my blog. (Click here for the main site)

Ever since I heard Richard Foster speak and read his book The Freedom of Simplicity I have been challenged. Recently I have been blogging and reading about de-cluttering and trying to live more simply. I've been reading the "100 thing challenge" (see here) Dave Bruno is attempting something amazing "By November 12, 2008 I will only have 100 personal things. I will live with only 100 personal things for one full year, until November 12, 2009." This doesn't include shared things with his wife or daughter and the household but it is still challenging.

Also I've been reading Clutter 101: the definitive guide to de-cluttering your life (See here) I learned in reading that if we de-clutter properly, we can save a lot of money because we can become more frugal and careful about what stuff we bring into the home. "Why add to all your existing junk by buying more unnecessary stuff?" But saving money means we might have more disposable income but not necessarily to spend on ourselves. It is said that John Wesley despite increases in income spent no more money than when he was poorer, the rest he gave away.

"However, I must provide for my children." Certainly. But how? By making them rich? ... Leave them enough to live on, not in idleness and luxury, but by honest industry. ... What does it signify, whether you leave behind you ten thousand pounds, or ten thousand shoes and boots? O leave nothing behind you! Send all you have before you into a better world! Lend it, lend it all unto the Lord, and it shall be paid you again! John Wesley Bristol, September 21, 1790.
I learned one thing important, it not always about being cheap. With even my finances sometimes it is better to buy one thing which is good and classic so much as to last many many years rather than the passing fad or trend which is obsolete in the moment. Not to buy that particular on credit helps to aid care and consideration because the time delay allows earnest careful determination.

Somehow it is a fallacy that being a consumer gives jobs and money to the poor. It seems to me an excuse to justify a constant urge to consume and shop. In fact market forces in the capitalist system require greed at an essential component and also to buy from the cheapest producer and not necessarily to be just in getting the right price. Capitalist economics has no loyalty to buyers or consumers, rather only to the company and the company owners whether private or share-owners.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3