You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A squeeze of the hand

"Jesus?" he whispered as his voice choked, "I feel so lost." A hand reached out and squeezed his, and didn't let go. "I know Mack. But it's not true. I am with you and I'm not lost. I'm sorry it feels that way, but hear me clearly. You are not lost." The Shack by William P Young

I've been reading The Shack and Mack, in Young's book, is met by God in a special way in the depth of a deep darkness and sadness. Also I have been listening to the pain of a number of people struggling recently. The future and not knowing create anxiety, anguish and pain for many; and the unknown brings fear and fear of failure and fear of falling and pain.

Mike Pilavachi writes about a challenge to him from Graham Cray, "Who told you that we were no longer in exile? Who said there are no laments to be sung to God? Are we really at home with all the pain, turmoil, killing, and hatred in the world? Is there nothing to lament before God about?" Again a collision of things, this morning I read William Blake's poem Ah! Sunflower and the trumpet blasts in Revelation and thought about the many godchildren I have and wrote this.

Sunflower, oh my soul!
restless in the search for the infinite
feeling loss and loneliness in the night

I feel lost
deep in my soul I cry for light
glimmer of hope, confusing desire for sight
for the received covering of white - I can't see

It feels that way
but hear me clearly
seeing is not always believing
trusting is more a squeeze of the hand in the darkness