You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Play so sweetly - live so sweetly

"Few people knew of the greatness she achieved then, of the nobility and inner development as she discovered new strength and vision within herself even as her body became her prison. It is a comforting half-true legend about multiple sclerosis, that the sufferer is enveloped by a quiet serenity and happiness which copes with the illness. But we cannot deny the frustration, the bitterness, the enormous anger which could and did erupt during her long night of suffering. It was balanced by her humour, by her compassionate work for fellow sufferers and her continuing joy for life. Jackie had a unique place in our lives because she belonged to that rare group of individuals who blessed the world."

- Rabbi Friedlander, Eulogy for Jacqueline du Pré

Given her complex life and personal struggles, I can't say she was a saint but she had an ability to touch deep inside the psyche with her music. Elgar's cello concerto is intense and deeply expressive and yet she set the standard for all time by which all performances are measured by adding her own intensity. I felt moved to listen to the first movement this morning and felt the tears welling up in response to it all. What is it all about? What is the purpose of life?

I am no du Pré, but years ago in my string quartet I was getting frustrated with the others. The cello at that point provided the rhythmic foundation. I complained to our coach How can I make them listen to me? She replied, Play so sweetly that they cannot fail to hear you! I've struggled sometimes with Paul writing "Imitate me", as it seemed to lack humility. However more recently I've connected these ideas. "Play so sweetly" and "Live so sweetly" that they cannot fail to pay attention ... not to me ... but the music.

Zubin Mehta, a year after du Pré's death, said. "Recently, I was conducting the Elgar concerto in New York. Toward the end of the third movement, I just couldn't conduct anymore. The cellist looked up and said, 'You're thinking of her, aren't you?' 'Yes', I replied. ... At that point I knew I could never conduct the Elgar again. There was no one like Jackie and no one could replace her. There is nothing else I can say. There is nothing else to be said."