You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Monday, September 10, 2007

With Open Hands


Henri Nouwen's With Open Hands was an important catalyst to integrating visual journalling into my spiritual life. Before I started I had not really drawn since I was 11 years old and these images come from January 2003 many many years later.

My spiritual director suggested that the activity of journalling itself focuses and therefore concentrates the drawing itself. Around the same time I was reading The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. A monk who worked in the kitchens and yet over 17 years learnt to find God there. The book records "It was a great delusion to think that the times of prayer ought to differ from other times ... prayer was nothing else but a sense of the presence of God." For drawing the hands and reflecting about what I was reading was to discover something I already knew well which was "Letting go and letting God" but to transfer it. This was, in the words of my old pastor Patrick Brock, the 18 inch drop, namely from head to heart.