You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Friday, November 9, 2007

chance, coincidence, or wonder

Sometimes unexpected things happen. Tonight we were going to hear Beethoven's Ninth Symphony except there were so many people attending that it was impossible to get into the hall. A student and I went downstairs to sit and chat in the refectory and there was a Chinese pipa player and guitarist setting up for a live performance. My young friend and I chatted for a while and I was saying that many years ago I had seen a group with an attractive and exciting pipa player. Then in the group's warm up I heard them play a very familiar fusion piece mixing Chinese and more Latin influenced. It was her 8-10 years later! I didn't recognise her but the arrangement instantly.

Silk Road Music was formed by virtuoso pipa player Qiu Xia He, who came to Canada as part of a touring ensemble. (info here) Her music and the fusion aspect is exciting and makes me wonder why Christian worship is so influenced by American monoculture when we live in a multicultural setting. What we need is more creativity and willingness to experiment, to break out of a conservatism in favour of a playfulness. Of course this assumes theoretical musical competency and technical ability.