You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm not perfect only flawed

So many of God’s servants are hurting in their body, families, marriages and in ways I cannot label or identify. ... Yet these are some of God’s best servants and most Christ-filled saints. Some of his most useful, loving people. The crucible does not need to be approved by me or you to be effective. God chooses his own instruments, preparing, sharpening and equipping them as He chooses. His agenda is Jesus. Mine would be comfort, wholeness, happiness and so forth, with Jesus as the end result. God is only interested in making us like Jesus. internetmonk.com

Michael Spencer wrote the above in his blog (here) and it reminded me again why I'm doing what I do. But it also reminded me to sensitive to the facades or masks of having all of life sorted out carried by many Christian leaders, not in a spirit of condemnation or judgement but rather in sadness.

Tears are strange things because of their duality and yet for me they remain in the domain of sadness and not joy. Strangely only two people could ever fully make me cry instantly with their tears and they were both named Janice. I cried with and for them even though they are now far away. I believe that we are to cry with those who are crying and cry on behalf of those unable to cry. This is core to the life together. Dietrich Bonhoeffer's book Life Together is one of those on my reading list but I understand that his central idea is that the Church is not a mere association of people with a common purpose which is frequently what happens. Rather it should be community focused upon Christ, not merely as goal but also means.

We need to stand together in weakness and not strength for in weakness we become strong. Not in and of ourselves but through a God who would transform us into the likeness of Christ.

After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. Is 53:11