You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

More thoughts on temptation

I was thinking this morning during a message on Matthew 4 and the 3 temptations of Jesus about the truth aspects of temptation. I think truth and authenticity go hand in hand, yet there are those I have met that any means is OK for the gospel's sake. In other words doing something or anything for God trumps the legality, the ethical or the moral; people have become things and tasks. But the Gospels speak of God's love, the letters of the New Testament tell us that God is love. I think there is temptation and deception to devalue people when the ends justify the means.

I am astounded by the extravagant offer that is made to Jesus "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me." Except all this was never his to give yet alone offer. It was a lie or deception - it was a distraction. I suppose there was a short-cut on offer to save time, effort and pain but that would have cheapened everything because ultimately there would have been no real salvation, redemption. For the Gospel is not about, in Walter Wink's words, redemptive violence but redemptive suffering.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Is 53:5