You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Lost and don't know where to go

Thursday night biking home I was stopped by a woman wearing a Canada Post uniform asking me where certain streets were, including my own. Nothing strange except I continued on my way home and about 10 minutes later she came up the street delivering mail and I found out from her she'd been asked to do this round at 11am. I noticed it was now 6.30pm.

I am surprised at her devotion to duty to get the letters delivered but surprised that she had no map book or guide to help her. She was clearly wandering around trying find the streets and those she asked about weren't small little roads. I wonder how many people are wandering through life without a reliable map or even better a guide.

A spiritual director is more of a companion who walks with you and points out the presence of God or refers you to pages in the guide book. A mentor tends to work more intellectually to develop and support growth. When looking around I still don't understand why so many rely on peers rather than searching someone older or more mature to help them. I am still blessed to have many people to learn from and guide me. People who don't tell me what to do but point to God.