You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Setting things

I've been reading about the importance of plants in the home. It seems that Kamal Meattle used just three indoor plant species to dramatically improve air quality in a New Delhi business park. However to achieve this eleven plants per person are required. The plants recommended are the Areca palm, Mother-in-law's Tongue, and Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureum). They clean the air removing especially organic pollutants.

Recently I have come to see plants are important in many ways. A Long time ago I set aside a space in my my bedroom for meditation and contemplation, it is a desk extension I found in the garbage over 7 years ago almost 7 feet long. Recently I cleared one end and placed a group of my jade plants (Crassula ovata). There are 3 types the normal full size form, a dwarf form and a cultivar called Gollum. The interesting thing is these plants take in CO2 at night rather than giving it out like other plants.

I think my bedroom air quality has improved as sleep patterns have changed but I also find that my daily devotions seem to have a different feel to them. Just having living green plants who I can see changing and growing each week gives me a different sense of the world. Gollum is sometimes called the finger jade because the leaves look like fingers. Seeing this formerly sick plant recovering and reaching upwards and outwards for the sun is a great exaltation to reach also for the Son.

No comments: