You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

begin playing

Not many years ago I began to play the cello. John Caldwell Holt

This is an odd way to phrase things because we think we start to learn. Holt went on to explain.

Most people would say that what I am doing is ‘learning to play the cello’. But these words carry into our minds the strange idea that there exist two very different processes:- (1) learning to play the cello, and (2) playing the cello. ... They imply that I will do the first until I have completed it, at which point I will stop the first process and begin the second. In short, I will stop the first process and begin the second. In short, I will go on learning to play until I have learned to play and then I will begin to play. Of course this is nonsense. We learn something by doing it. There is no other way.
John Caldwell Holt was an innovative educator who challenged the idea of a compulsory or a coerced education process. Holt believed that children did not need to be forced to learn if given the freedom to follow their own interests and a rich assortment of resources, children would learn. Formerly a teacher he eventually quit because schools were in his view intrinsically flawed. Thus his line of thinking became known as unschooling and he became a proponent of home schooling. I think we already know that we learn best by doing but Holt looked at the environment, motivation and reasons that bring learning.

When I examine the language and I say that I am playing there is a certain confidence and feeling of accomplishment. I wonder if playing can be seen relationally that playing is an expression of the essential relationship between player and instrument. Learning to play is far more an abstraction moving oneself from the instrument. perhaps I can frame this in terms of Martin Buber's relationships. I am playing the cello is a declaration of intent for an I-Thou relationship however this realistically does not have a significance unless seen against the I-Eternal Thou which in this situation is music itself. But we have a tendency to reduce things to I-it relationships and learning to play is this. (See my earlier posts 1 & 2)

In fact as I think of it I see parallels with Jurgen Habermas' categories of learning. He presents technical learning, process/practical learning, and emancipatory learning. When it comes to the cello, there is a basic technical knowledge that is required however the objective is to transition to process/practical learning as quickly as possible i.e. move from I-it to I-Thou relationships with the instrument. But emancipatory learning requires an I-Eternal Thou relationship. Thus in cello playing, there is learning to play, playing the cello, and making music.

All I have to do is change the "l" to an "r" and spirituality and prayer and my thoughts begin to cascade into a new shape.

Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers... Eph 6:18