You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Courage, take what life throws at you

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I think this quote comes from Dale Carnegie What does this really mean? make good things from bad? The conversations of this last week have really challenged me. How do we face adversity?

The real issue is what do we do when things are difficult. When others destroy the trust relationships we thought had with them, where confidences were betrayed and gossip spread. I know we cannot live without hope, but I'm beginning to wonder if people can live without trust? I'm wondering whether whatever happens in a relationship we have to hold to fidelity even when we cannot trust the other. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them is another saying origin unknown. But for trust to come again it involves going back into the risky places. Something I don't like but somehow we all have to do it eventually.

The issue is when the rubber hits the road. We can theorize all we like but it is in the dirty circumstances of real life, living in an imperfect world with imperfect people, that we grow. We can still be faithful with people we don't trust.