You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Friends Reunited

Encouragment comes in many different ways. I'm on the website Friends Reunited and got an email recently from my past, in the region of 27-30 years ago. That's really the past! Keith from my Cru days. I knew him as a 12 year old and I was one of his youth leaders.

Sometimes you never know whether you made a difference or not but to find out he has remained in the faith and serving in leadership is a breath of fresh cool air. I've been reading a book on mentoring and will be posting a book review here soon. One of the things the book raises about mentoring and working with young people is the issue of legacy. Do we leave no trace? Ascribing to the idea of negative ecological footprint no-one ever knew you were there or do we leave legacies.

Several of my recent internationals have struggled intensely but I am genuinely touched when one said "I don't know God but I know you!" and another "[God] sent me you. It means that he haven't abandon me yet."

No comments: