You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

cold rationalism and deep emotions

I'm taking a course in critical thinking and theological reflection and at times I get really frustrated, because I'm more a post-modern than modernist even though my basic analytical skills are quite reasonable. Emotions and passions are important and should be part of the evaluative process. Yet when I help people to write essays and it's important to conform to an academic standard but I'm getting to a point I don't like it. Feelings as intuitive process of judgment also has its place.

I really feel tonight that Feeling is more important than thinking anymore. Tonight I started watching a Taiwanese TV drama series called The Rose, I came across it because of a song by 阿桑 [Ah Sang] - 葉子 [The Leaf]. The music video (watch it here) was quite beautiful and immensely sad and it made me curious about where it came from. That started me on a pursuit which identified the TV drama and then the Taiwanese group S.H.E. and in fact all 3 members appear in the show and Ella Chen (E of S.H.E. ) takes a starring role. The Rose is a Taiwanese version of a Japanese Manga and its a wet tissue story of Cinderella. In fact after the first episode I'd already cried three times for the heroine. But for now the closing credits song Ah Sang's Ye Zi - The Leaf

A leaf, is a wing that does not know how to fly.
A wing: is a leaf that’s fallen into the sky.
Heaven, it wasn’t supposed to be a dream.
It’s just that I’ve forgotten a long time ago how I flew.
Loneliness is one person’s desire.
Desire is a group’s loneliness.
Love’s beginning was companionship.
But I also forgot who it was who needed the companionship.
By myself, I eat, travel, going and stopping everywhere.
And by myself, I read, write, and tell my heart to myself.
But here has my heart drifted to that I can't even see myself clearly?
I think I'm slowly, completely, losing you.
Life is all about a little bit of trust and a whole lot about needing hope. There's quite a bit of Cinderella in all of us.