You can surf or search or use the labels to follow a thread of ideas. Imagine in some crazy way you are watching my thoughts evolve, seeing ideas become connected , or observing an amorphous cloud giving birth to sources of light and matter. Treat this place metaphorically as a place of unformed galaxies and planetary systems rather than merely as a diary.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

We're not singing anymore

Well if we are deconstructing worship as singing then maybe it looks like it is a flawed activity for a number of reasons. But what is our choice going forward… no music? alternative worship? reframing worship? Paul Mayers

Jason Clarks blog is one I try and keep up with over at Deep Church. Unusually we share common elements in our theological development and perhaps it is not surprising when I come across similar ideas. This time Paul Mayer's examination of assumptions nails it for me.

a. worship is about life not just singing?
b. is singing anyway a missonal activity?
c. too much intimacy is a turn off over time?
d. worship is an activity which the few do to the many - and that is a bad thing?
e. exclusion/consumerism/entertainment is rife within the model?
f. other forms of worship/connection to God are equally (if not more) valid?
g. equality/equal participation or at least no one telling me what to do is a better model for church/life?
Does this sound familiar? Several other points are there that I've been gasping about for years now. People get most of their theology from what they sing. Unfortunately a speedy analysis of the repertoire of many churches and their songs' theological depth leaves me standing in a puddle of melting snow. "If indeed we are formed by what we sing maybe we should sing more about mission/justice/creation - about what we long for God to do in our own community/culture/context?" Furthermore people often don't really mean what they sing rather plant their own feelings and meaning on top of the words. I'm living the experience of singing. But it's not about me and my love for God, but us, humans and us together with God in our relationship. Songs must move from the first person, or third person to the second person. We must address or speak to God not about ourselves or about God. What does it really, authentically mean to sing "Christ be the centre" "Jesus be the centre"? You, O Lord are the centre?

The worship leader is not a performer, rather either prophet or priest. He or she speaks for God or for the people BUT not merely for themselves! Worship should express both transcendent and immanent aspects of the human-divine relationship through the two roles.

My greatest joys used to be in leading worship and finding myself and a church understanding intimately the deep nature of God. Now that is in hearing and seeing the finding of God in the lives of my spiritual directees. My greatest frustrations remain people far from God.

But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?" He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." Gen 3:9-10